Beverly threw a load of laundry into her Maytag Dependable Care washing machine. The multi-task wizard of a super-mom she considers herself to be, she goes outside to prune her roses. About 30 minutes later she returns to put the load into the dryer only to be met by a miniature flood. Yikes!
If you have a washing machine that is leaking water, read on. This article will not include every problem that can cause a leaky washer, but it will get you started and it may help you avoid a costly appliance repair bill. So, let’s get started.
- Flathead Screwdriver
- Drill with Philips Head Screwdriver and a flex extension to easily access hard to reach screws
Interior Access of Washing Machine – Replacing a Hose Clamp
- Using the drill, Philips, and flex extension, remove the two screws underneath the front panel.
- Carefully remove the front cover from the washing machine
- Inspect the interior of the machine for water splashes which may provide clues as to which component is causing the leak.
- If there are no visible splashes, consider that a good thing as you have just eliminated the hub located at the bottom of the tub as being a source for your leaking washer.
- Continue to visibly inspect the inner components for water damage. Look for such things as moisture, rust, or loose-fitting connections.
- Fill the tub with water and visually determine where the water is leaking.
- Inspect the outlet drain hose located at the bottom of the tub. Are the clamps securely attached?
- If a clamp is found to have come loose, replace with a new clamp. No sense in reusing the same defective clamp.
- Wipe down any residual water that remains.
- Fill the tub with water and set the washer to spin. Continue to monitor the washer’s progress and if you no longer notice any water leaking, replace the front cover.
Some other possible areas to consider, of course, are the hot water inlet valve, double cold-water inlet valve, inlet hoses, a door seal, and the water filter.
If you are having trouble with this or any other appliance repairs, contact us for assistance.