If yourÂ refrigerator’s fresh food section is too cold or too warm, the damper might not be correctly regulating the temperature. That means the damper needs to be fully replaced. Order part # WR49X10091 for your GE refrigerator and follow these steps to replace it:
- Unplug the refrigerator and open the fresh food section door.
- Remove the shelves to give access to the damper assembly.
- Remove the water filter cover and water filter.Â Rotate the filter to pull it free.
- Remove the light.Â Snap the cover free of the tabs and then unscrew the metal plate of the fixture. That gives you access to the wiring so you can remove the grounding wire and pull the entire assembly away.
- Remove the cover plate.Â Pull the tabs free by starting at the bottom.
- Unscrew the damper assembly, then pull it free.Â The assemblyÂ has a wire port that you will need to gently separate before you fully remove the damper.
- Remove the gasket in the side of the fresh food section wall.
- Put the new gasket in place.Â The part comes with a spacer in case the gasket is smaller than the provided space.
- Plug in the damper and put it into place.Â Then replace the four screws that hold the damper in place.
- Replace the damper cover by snapping it back into place.Â Then replace the other elements you removed to access the gasket: the lighting assembly, by reconnecting the grounding wire, screwing the plate back into place, and clicking the cover back on; adding the water filter and cover; and, the shelves.
Any malfunction that affects the temperature of the food might be dangerous, so it’s important to move quickly to troubleshoot and repair any problems no matter what the underlying cause is.Â Go to Jerry’s Appliance Repair hereÂ for more repair procedures.