If your Whirlpool or Maytag oven has gone on strike and will not heat, it could be the thermal fuse has gone bad. However, be aware that there is probably another underlying reason causing the fuse to fail, so you will need to do further testing on the elements, and/or the control board relay to find the initial problem. To check and replace the thermal fuse, you will need a Phillip’s head screwdriver, needle-nose pliers, and a volt tester.
Perform a Diagnostic Test on the Thermal Fuse
- Unplug your oven before starting any work on it.
- Access the back of the oven and remove the bottom middle panel by removing the two screws, sliding the panel down and pulling out. Be careful, the panel may have sharp edges.
- Then, follow-up be removing the top panel, which has several screws securing it. When removing the last screw be sure to hold the panel so it doesn’t fall. Caution, it, too, can have sharp edges.
- Gently remove the terminals with your pliers. Get out your volt tester and set to sound. If the fuse is good you will hear a high-pitched tone. If not, you’ll hear nothing.
Replacing the Fuse
- While removing the screw and holding the fuse in place, also note the position of the fuse.
- Install the new fuse in the same position as the inoperable one you just removed.
- Reinstall the wire terminals.
- Reinstall the upper panel by holding the panel in place while replacing the two top screws. Then finish replacing all of the other screws.
- Replace the middle lower plate, placing the tabs on the plate into the notches on the back of the oven. Push up and reinstall the screws.
Remember that while you have replaced the thermal fuse, that initial problem may still remain and burn out another fuse. Be sure to run diagnostics on other potential problems to find the initial source. Then repair or replace as necessary.
If you’re having problems with your oven repair in the Indianapolis area, be sure to give Jerry’s Appliance Repair a call. We’ll get out to you quickly, diagnose and repair the problem quickly, so you can get back to your daily routine.
855 - 553 - 7797Give us a call!
Oct. 17, 2019
How to Replace the Handle on Your Oven
Oct. 07, 2019
Soap Not Dissolving in Dishwasher
Sep. 29, 2019
Why Won’t My Washing Machine Stop Spinning?
Sep. 23, 2019
Hunting For the Best Haunted Houses in Indianapolis
Sep. 16, 2019
How to Replace the Door Panel on a Dishwasher
Sep. 09, 2019
Samsung Top Load Washer Lid Lock Repair
Aug. 22, 2019
Kenmore and Frigidaire Wall Ovens Recalled
Aug. 16, 2019
What to Do When an Oven Door Will Not Unlock
Aug. 09, 2019
Weekly Indy Cultural Trail Food Tours
Aug. 06, 2019
How to Replace a Refrigerator Light
Jul. 29, 2019
Reasons Your Dishwasher Takes Forever to Fill
Jul. 22, 2019